first 2 weeks

The past two weeks have been fun, exciting, stressful, scary, and thought provoking to say the least. I think it's probably more intense when it's your first time doing all this new stuff that is acclimating to the FS lifestyle: happy hours galore, classes in what look like UN meeting sites with translator booths, spouse classes and dinners, hoping that your spouse doesn't begin to resent you for going to the gym, shopping, exploring and cooking every day, bidding on countries that you aren't 100% confident you could locate on a map, etc. This 156th class is astonishingly impressive. Not only are they friendly, down to earth and, quite honestly, attractive, they are BRILLIANT. I have never met so many people who speak 5 languages, have lived, worked and studied in as many countries, run marathons, have read every NY Times bestseller, AND can carry on a conversation about Lady Gaga at the VMA's.

The bidding process has been pretty consuming, but in a good way. It's been so pleasant to get a list of 90 cities, all with the nearing potential to be called home, and research the sh*t out of them. We have our favorites... and a few lesser favorites but we are signed on to go where we're needed and will do our best. I've decided that since I'm not working and gave up my career to go on this adventure, there will be a few stipulations. Such as: there is one place in Southern Africa that Cyn had to promise me that I could have a horse if we go there since she wants to bid it high. another few places that I will become a home brewer of beer and wine if we are sent there since they are dry, Muslim countries. and even a few that I may not be seen for 4 days as I will be on a scuba diving adventure with my new local friends who also don't work. It's also very possible that I will get a job either at the Embassy or on the local economy. We'll just have to see how long I can hold out.

I've also been elated since one of my best friends lives in NoVa. We've been able to hang out like old times and tool around the city together only now she has the addition of a little dude. It's been awesome to be able to spend time with her son (and wonderful hubby) and get to know the little animal so he understands from a very early age that I will be a part of his life forever. Much to Cyn's relief, this experience has bought a little time in the having a baby department as I have never known such exhaustion as having spent the day and night with a 2 year old boy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment