weekend recap

A glorious and rejuvenating weekend. So much so that I just popped out of bed at 630am feeling refreshed and happy (I don't have a job, people, wth).

Cyn was released from A-100 early on Thursday so we were finally able to make that walk to Georgetown that we've been talking about. It was raining but warm enough for a t-shirt so we went anyway with plans to see a movie. We were sidetracked by H&M and Urban Outfitters. Way too much money and several bags later, we decided to skip the flick and get some Vietnamese food instead.  Delish.

Friday was our lunchtime/brown bag GLIFFA meeting at FSI. My bff spouse and I decided to go all out and bring lunch. He made chilaquiles, black beans and rice and I brought a rum cake. Need I say more? I think we will be invited to the next meeting. The meeting was highly informative; we talked about visas, diplomatic immunity, and the realities of being a same-sex couple in the foreign service (thanks, Michelle Schohn!!). My fellow culinarian and I spent the rest of the afternoon on a guided tour by our lovely Smithie friend through sculpture gardens, the mall and the American History museum. We appreciated the enormous Star-Spangled Banner, the gowns of the first ladies and Julia Child's kitchen. Later we met the spouses, ate some unbelievable Thai food and found a strange gay bar where were probably the only ladies who have ever braved to step foot inside.

Saturday we attended the March on Washington hosted by One Nation Working Together (organized by our incredible friend!). We started with breakfast at this Chinese-owned waffle house that doubled as a convenient store. It was scrumptious and the owner and his son were pretty hilarious. They had a sign up stating that the bathroom was out of order, but when asked about it the son just said 'nah, it works. that's just in case it ever stops working'. Maybe they just really hate cleaning them. Finding the restroom proved even more difficult as one has to weave through bar stools in the pitch black basement. A formidable opponent maybe, but not after 4 cups of coffee.

The march/rally was exciting, provocative (in the encouraging, motivating sense) and inspired hope. We even saw Jesse Jackson! Afterward, we nearly walked our legs off to see all the monuments, stroll around the Potamac River, and finally to the most amazing Greek/Turkish/Mediterranean Tapas food I've ever eaten. Baba Ganoush, Hummus, roasted red pepper dish (name?), spanakopita and puffed, fresh pita bread. Dessert was also ah-ma-zing with olive oil ice cream, Turkish delight with baklava ice cream, espresso chocolate cake with cardamom and ginger whip cream, and Greek yogurt (with lime zest!) with apricots.

Yesterday we found a dollar store in Falls Church and were able to get almost everything on our list intended for Target for a fraction of the price. We also spotted a Mexican/Salvadoran drive-through that looked just dumpy enough to possibly be an authentic, magnificent eatery. Birthday dinner followed for a fellow FSO at the always ostentatious Cheesecake Factory. We rounded out the weekend last night with Jennifer's Body and A Home at the End of the World.

Oh, and I also made this totally virgoed-out list of every possible country we could be assigned to accompanied by it's flag in preparation for Flag Day this Friday!









4 comments:

Bfiles said...

can't wait to hear where you are going! hope it's a high!

Abbie said...

Hi ladies,

I stumbled on your blog from Digger's blogroll. My partner and I are hoping to get into an upcoming A-100--I'm still waiting for clearance and my partner is on the register. We were hoping to connect with other gay FSOs/EFMs. I might be doing it wrong, but I couldn't find a link to email you on this site.

Specifically we're looking to talk to GLBT FSOs who are considering starting a family or who already have. We contacted GLIFAA already, but they haven't responded. If you're willing to talk about this or anything else, please let me know how to get in touch with you.

I hope you got your first choice on Flag Day! I'm curious to see where you're going.

Thanks!

Abbie

Cyn said...

Bfiles - thanks for the support! You rock.
Abbie - I'd be happy to serve as a resource, but I'm pretty much a newbie to this FSO gig. What specific questions do you have?

Abbie said...

Cyn, First, congrats on going to Costa Rica! Everyone I know who's lived there has LOVED it.

Basically, we are just worried about our future kids having to go through the hardship of being a so-called third-culture kid, and also with the hardship of having two moms. It's one thing for us to deal with increased homophobia abroad, but another thing to impose that on kids. I just wanted to know whether you have learned of any GLBT FSOs who have children who might be willing to talk to us, or if you and your wife have had "the baby talk" what your thoughts on the issue are.

Feel free to email me at fs.bound [at] gmail [dot] com, so you don't have to post your childrearing plans for all to see.

Thanks!

Abbie

Post a Comment