plans to ward off extreme culture shock

What Is Culture Shock?

"Culture Shock characterizes an emotional disorientation, caused by continuously unexpected reactions from the new culture. Culture shock can manifest in: anxiety; sadness; depression; migraines; burn out; reduced energy levels; new and/or increased tensions and sometimes aggression in the family; isolation and more." (taken from http://expatwomen.com/general/culture_shock_ines_hofmann.php I don't think they'll mind)

I plan to wholeheartedly go through each of the common stages: Stage One: Honeymoon Period; Stage Two: Crisis Period; Stage Three: Adaptation Period; Stage Four: Stabilization Period. I'm sure there will be tears, tantrums, periods of elation, sadistic declarations, and eventually contentment.

In hopes of not driving my loved ones too insane, I've started a list of things I would like to learn and do should this roller coaster start careening out of control.

* obtain a BS
* hopefully get a Physicians Assistance certificate
* ESL certification
* cooking/baking
* pottery
* martial arts/self defense (I'm starting Muay Thai Kickboxing this week)
* join sports teams
* guitar/piano/other instruments
* canning/fermenting foods
* learn local cooking techniques
* brew beer/make wine
* photography
* study history and geography - esp locally
* get better at public speaking
* be more spontaneous and simultaneously more organized
* travel, travel, travel
* meditate
* write things I'm grateful for every evening (I will try to begin this tonight)

0 comments:

Post a Comment